Mar 15, 2011

The Weirdest Dresses Popstars Love



I'm endlessly interested in people who choose their clothes with a mind to making them as in your face as possible. I guess the wilder your wardrobe, the more likely it is that you'll stick in people's minds - that's what the world's popstars seem to think anyway.

As much as I want people to think I look nice, I have to say that most of the time I dress to please myself rather than everyone else. That means nice skinny jeans with a bit of stretch, soft swishy dresses that don't cinch in too much at the waist and the occasional cute t-shirt. Obviously, I want to look good for work too, and there's nothing quite like getting dolled up for a night out, but I'm definitely all about cloths being right for me and less bothered about how much of a lasting impression they make on other people.

That said, I'm endlessly interested in people who choose their clothes with a mind to making them as in your face as possible. I guess the wilder your wardrobe, the more likely it is that you'll stick in people's minds - that's what the world's popstars seem to think anyway.

When I think about weird dresses, there's one that ALWAYS springs to mind first, and that's the crazy swan get up Bjork wore on the Oscars red carpet back in 2001. It was a pretty crazy looking dress, and a bit more like a fancy dress costume than a evening gown, but it got her talked about plenty - and I think there's something appealing about it, in a kooky kind of way.

Then there's Madonna, she's worn some pretty interesting ensembles over the years, from her 80s spatkly legwarms and crucifixes to the zips and corsets of the last few years. The get up she wore to a gala at the MoMA in 2009 may not be the weirdest dress she's been in, but the fact she's in her 50s now and still wearing that kind of stuff earn her my respect.

And that brings me along nicely to Cher, whose crazy dresses and catsuits have entertained me greatly over the years. She's another performer who is all about reinventing herself, so I guess it's only inevitable that some of her dresses might get a little, well, weird from time to time.

But it's not just the older stars who can be a little eccentric when it comes to their dresses, just think about Katy Perry and the firework dress she wore for a Victoria Secrets show. However, when we're talking weird, there are few people who can hold a candle to Lady Gaga right now. A dress made out of raw meat? That's dedication to the cause. What cause exactly, I'm not sure, but it definitely tops my list of weird dresses.

These sassy female popstars may have reminded be it is possible to be as weird and wonderful as you want when it comes to your clothes. But I think I'll stick with my own collection of dresses, I don't have legions of fans to please or newspapers to shock after all!

Jennifer is a part of the digital blogging team at getyourblogsout.com who work with brands like Debenhams. For more information about me, or to keep up to date with the latest in entertainment news, check out my posts at getyourblogsout.com or visit my Twitter account, @BlogsOut

No comments: